Site Meter ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5 ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5

Susan's Spa

Your number one stop for beauty and blogging tips, all in one fabulous blog!

Friday, August 24, 2007

A Walk To Remember


Years ago when I was first married, I began to see my mother-in-law change before my eyes. This once sweet and energetic little woman, became and introverted and solitary. She had become one of the many victims of Alzheimer's. Her death many years later, came as a blessing in disguise, as the disease had robbed her of her ability to communicate and her dignity and grace. There are few people in the world who haven't been touched by this disease in some way. If you have ever thought of how you can help, here's your chance. The Alzheimer's Association Memory Walk is one of the largest events which not only raises much needed funds for research, care and support, but also raises awareness of the disease. Participants in the walk come from all walks of life, all cultures and all generations as the disease never discriminates and touches many. Since 1989, the Memory Walk has raised over $225 million. Personally, I've always been at a loss as to how I can make a difference in fighting this dreadful disease. Now I know that I can help by become a
Team Captain for the Memory Walk. Here's what I found out when I went to the website. All I had to do was type in my zip code. I immediately found several walks that were near my home which I can easily participate in. The best part is that I can get people from my office to walk with me as my team members and we can help raise money and awareness for Alzheimber's. I know I wouldn't have a problem getting people to join me. Unfortunately, I don't know many people who haven't been touched by this disease and as such, one can feel helpless at times. Now, we can all feel empowered by joining the walk, raising money and hopefully finding a cure once and for all. I hope other people will be inspired to join also after reading my post. Sometimes people feel that, as one person, they really don't make a difference, but here's a way that you can by either becoming a Team Captain or joining the walk as a team member. Helping others is a great way to feel good about yourself too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
Next | Previous | Rand | List Sites
Next 5 | Previous 5 | Join | Stats
Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
made possible by CrickRock Webrings.