Site Meter ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5 ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5

Susan's Spa

Your number one stop for beauty and blogging tips, all in one fabulous blog!

Monday, November 12, 2007

Family Heirlooms


When I bought my house from my mother eighteen years ago, she moved away to Florida to begin a new life and left behind some family heirlooms for me to use in my very first new home. I got her beautiful china and a few antique knick-knacks, but she left me one thing that is still in good-working order; her Hamilton Beach mixer. I'm not really sure when she first purchased the mixer, but I do remember her using it to make birthday cakes or home-made frosting. Believe it or not, the mixer still works fine and I use it to make my holiday favorites. I'm not much of a baker, but you don't have to be much of a baker to still need an electric mixer. In fact, using an electric mixer, will make you feel more like a baker and, will certainly impress your friends and family at holiday dinners because everything came out so smooth, creamy and/or fluffy. One of my favorite all-time recipes is really quite simple, but still makes a great impression. I use one box of chocolate jello mix and prepare as per the instructions on the box in a large mixing bowl. I then add one small container of Cool Whip and use my mixer to create a beautiful chocolate mousse. Now you can simply pour the mousse mixture into dessert cups and garnish with some whipped cream (which you can also use your mixer for), but I like to pour the mixture into a store-bought graham cracker crust pie plate. I then garnish with some whipped cream and some shaved chocolate. This lovely dessert never ceases to amaze my family who knows I don't bake and will satisfy even the most discriminating chocolate lover. Since I am in the process of re-decorating my kitchen, I just may treat myself this holiday season to a brand new Hamilton Beach stand mixer. These lovely mixers come in the most delicious colors! Sugar (white), Ultra Marine (deep blue), Pinapple (a lovely shade of yellow), Apple (a light green), Sterling (silver) and Licorice (black). I may just choose the Apple color which will look beautiful on my counter. This mixer is just as good as the other famous Eclectrics® Mixer at about half the cost and I already know that it will last me long enough to pass down to my own daughter when the time comes. Who knows, I might even become a good baker!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
Next | Previous | Rand | List Sites
Next 5 | Previous 5 | Join | Stats
Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
made possible by CrickRock Webrings.