Weight Loss Begins At The Supermarket
As a follow-up to my last post, here are some great shopping tips for those who are serious about losing weight and keeping it off. The journey begins at the supermarket and here are some great tips as outlines in the January issue of 'Good Housekeeping' magazine:
1) Eggs - Forget the carbs and eat more protein. Begin with eggs in the morning. Eating two scrambled eggs in the morning with a slice of toast and reduced calorie spread, can prevent you from over-eating the rest of the day. The protein may help to prevent a spike in blood sugar, keeping hunger at bay much longer than by eating a bagel or muffin. Better still, use only the egg whites or just one yolk.
2) Beans - Adding higher fiber foods to your diet can stave off hunger. Beans can be added to many recipes (soups, stews, salads). They are very healthy and can also help lower your cholesterol.
3) Salad - Adding a salad to your meal can help you consume less of the bad stuff. Salad often makes you feel fuller almost immediately which can keep you from eating more bread, mashed potatoes or even dessert. A tossed salad contains vegetables with lots of nutrients. Stick to a low-fat, low-sugar dressing too.
4) Green tea - This has been touted as a weight loss aid and it's really true. It's not the caffeine, but antioxidants called catechins which may help speed metabolism. Green tea may also help to lower cholesterol.
5) Grapefruit - Remember the grapefruit diet? Newer studies have found that eating or drinking grapefruit or grapefruit juice may help reduce insulin levels due to the fruits phytochemicals. The process may force your body to convert calories into energy rather than body fat.
Tomorrow, I'll post part two of this post and list more foods that help you fight fat and stay healthy.