Site Meter ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5 ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5

Susan's Spa

Your number one stop for beauty and blogging tips, all in one fabulous blog!

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Great Caesar's Ghost....It's Superman!!!


"Superman Returns" opened a few weeks back and, although it's been reviewed by everyone in the universe, I just had to add my two cents on this one. Superman and I go back a long way. I remember the comic books lying on the floor of my brother's room. I remember the television show starring George Reeve. I, of course, remember the Superman movies made famous by Christopher Reeves as Superman and Margot Kidder as Lois Lane (althought I discount the last two, which were terrible) and, I will always remember this version of Superman starring Brandon Routh as the red-caped wonder himself. One of the many things I loved about this movie is that there are tie-ins to all of the previous incarnations of Superman, including the story itself, which first appeared in comic book version many years ago and was later featured as an episode on the old television show, when TV was only in black and white. In fact, the actor who played Jimmy Olsen on the television show, makes a little more than a cameo appearance in this movie, but as a bartender. Even Marlon Brando makes an appearance in this movie through the magic of film editing, as Superman's father, Jor-El. The movie is campy in terms of costumes and sets, as an homage to the original Superman, but the director chose not to make this a period piece (wisely, I might add) bringing Superman into the 21st Century complete with cell phones and internet capabilities. The most memorable character in this movie however is Kevin Spacey as the villian we all love to hate, Lex Luthor. He is, by far, the best Lex of all and his performance alone shouldn't be missed. The only miscast in this movie is Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. Yet despite her lackluster performance, she and Brandon have a very nice, yet understated onscreen chemistry. The special effects alone are worth the price of admission. Think Titanic, Jurrasic Park and The War of the Worlds all rolled up into one. This is a fast-paced action-packed love story that is very sure to have a sequel and when you see this movie, you'll know why!

2 Comments:

At 7/06/2006 1:14 PM, Blogger Jaclyn said...

Although my opinion on the movie and the actors' performances completely differ from yours, I really loved your review and it brought to mind nostalgic times of watches Superman with my brother and sisters and I didn't even catch that cameo by Jimmy Olsen. Loved your review!

 
At 7/06/2006 1:52 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Susan, I pmed you again. Did you get it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
Next | Previous | Rand | List Sites
Next 5 | Previous 5 | Join | Stats
Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
made possible by CrickRock Webrings.