Site Meter ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5 ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5

Susan's Spa

Your number one stop for beauty and blogging tips, all in one fabulous blog!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

What's In Your Medicine Cabinet?

Since I often write about healthy living in my blog, I thought it would be important to include some useful information about medication. Now more than ever people are taking some kind of prescription medication and, in most cases, taking more than one at a time. I take two medications a day...one to manage my cholesterol and another for heart palpitations. There was a time when I was on four or five at one time. I felt utterly confused and frustrated trying to find information about the medication I was taking and drug interactions with food, etc. My pharmacist was a great help to me since my primary care physician was often too busy to answer all of my questions (I no longer see that doctor). Some things I learned about prescription medication is to always make sure it is stored in a child safe bottle that has never been tampered with. I always check my medication first before I take it since I know what the pills should look like and people do make mistakes in both writing and filling the prescriptions. It's important to know ahead of time how medications react with other medications, over-the-counter drugs, vitamin supplements and certain foods. For instance, if your doctor prescribes a medication like Augmentin, it is not unreasonable for you to think that he or she has done their research before prescribing that drug. Dr. James Wood from the UAB Selma Family Residency Program has been quoted as saying that he and his staff use an on-line service called Epocrates. This online service is often used by physicians to research over 3,300 drugs, including dosing, pricing, potential drug interactions and Medicare Part D coverage to improve patient care. When a doctor goes to these lengths to make sure that a drug is appropriate to use, then you can feel secure in taking that medication. Of course, make sure that all your physicians know exactly what medications you are taking when you consult with them. Take all the medication with you at a consultation so your doctor can be well-informed when making decisions regarding your health care. Finally, don't hold on to any medication that has expired. That expiration date is there for a reason and once a medication has gone past that date, chances are it is no longer effective and may even be harmful and don't share your pills with anyone else!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
Next | Previous | Rand | List Sites
Next 5 | Previous 5 | Join | Stats
Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
made possible by CrickRock Webrings.