Site Meter ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5 ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5

Susan's Spa

Your number one stop for beauty and blogging tips, all in one fabulous blog!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

My Life In High Heels


There was a time when my heels never touched the ground. They were often perched at least three inches above my toes. I'm not a tall person (just a smidgeon under 5'5") and, like so many women, I longed to be taller and leaner looking. Heels (the higher, the better) were the easiest way to achieve this look. My favorites were Candies (similiar to the ones in the photo). I loved my Candies so much that I even wore them in snowstorms (boots???? I don't need no stinkin' boots!!!). After my ankles begged and pleaded with me to give up my need for more height, I caved in (somewhere around early motherhood) and I've not looked back since. Today, high heels are still very much in style. In fact, the higher the better. It's not uncommon to find high heels as high as 7 or 8 inches in height. A 5 inch heel is considered somewhat middle-of-the road these days. In Japan, there was an epidemic of sprains and broken bones thanks to a craze of 10 inch heel shoes. Before you run out and buy them though, you should know that one can develop chronic orthopedic problems like hammertoes (unsightly and very painful), aches and pains from abnormal stress to the ankles, knees, hips and lower back and, most importantly, early onset of osetoarthritis to the knees. Many of these chronic conditions may eventually have to be remedied with surgery. If you must wear heels, one physician recommends wearing them around the house until you are certain you can walk relatively well in them before venturing outside. This will cut down on the possibility of a sprained or broken ankle. As for me, I've found an alternative with platform shoes which are far more comfortable and a lot less wear and tear on my feet. As for Jessica Simpson....someone please tell that girl her boots aren't made for walkin'!

4 Comments:

At 5/31/2006 12:24 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Susan, I"m not tall either. I 5 foot so I'm always wearing heels. Granted I only wear 3 to 4 inch heels if I go any higher it hurts my ankles. I did alot of dancing in high school and I messed up my ankles so I can't wear anything higher than 4 inches. When I have kids I'll probaby retire my high heels. hehehe Cute post.

 
At 5/31/2006 12:32 PM, Blogger Cher said...

I used to be a 'Candies' girl too...but for me (after I turned 50 a couple years ago) I'm now a Clarks and Natualizer chick and is my back happy!!!

 
At 5/31/2006 4:11 PM, Blogger redcat said...

Oh Susan! I had a pair just like those, only in taupe...I wore them for my prom (100 years ago) because I'm 5' 7" and my date was 6' 5"!! They were the highest heels I had, and I loved them.

Now that I've had kids, though, you're lucky I wear a 1.5" heel, if any. I prefer barefoot or slides. My feet flattened so much!!

Beth

 
At 5/31/2006 4:12 PM, Blogger redcat said...

I had a pair just like those!! Except, taupe. It was my junior prom, and my date was 6' 5" to my 5' 7"...I still barely made it to his shoulders...loved them, though!

Beth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
Next | Previous | Rand | List Sites
Next 5 | Previous 5 | Join | Stats
Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
made possible by CrickRock Webrings.