Site Meter ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5 ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5

Susan's Spa

Your number one stop for beauty and blogging tips, all in one fabulous blog!

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Avoiding Eating Traps

I recentlty lost about 18 pounds on Weight Watchers. I only have two pounds left to go to get back to where I once was and wearing a size 8 easily. At first, I was incredulous that I had gained so much, but looking back at my eating habits, I can see how it happened. Adding more to my portions and mindless snacking late at night might have only added another couple of hundred calories, but over a couple of years, those calories added up to pounds I needed to lose. What I learned to do was reduce my portions. One thing I no longer do, at least while I'm dieting, is giving in to impulse buying of over-sized portions either in restaurants or discount stores that offer great deals on huge size products. I also used a smaller plate when I ate my meals to remind me to keep my portions small. As for snacks, I keep healthy alternatives to the crunchy, salty chips I loved so much like 94% fat-free microwave popcorn, which now comes in 100 calorie bags. Fresh fruit and vegetables make a great snack too, especially after I cut them up and store them in reusable containers. I keep fat-free dressing and low-fat peanut butter on hand too. Over the summer I bought the fat-free icepops and now I make the fat-free, sugar-free pudding which is great with fat-free coolwhip. I may never be able to completely free myself of my eating habits, which were ingrained at a very early age (who can't relate to that?), but I can change what I eat to keep my weight where it should be and improve my quality of life. I have way more energy and actually enjoy exercising (okay, maybe I don't love it, but it's a lot easier after losing 18 pounds). If you want to read a great book on how to alter your eating habits, get a copy of "Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think" by Brian Wansink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
Next | Previous | Rand | List Sites
Next 5 | Previous 5 | Join | Stats
Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
made possible by CrickRock Webrings.