Site Meter ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5 ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5

Susan's Spa

Your number one stop for beauty and blogging tips, all in one fabulous blog!

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Bone Chilling

I just came back from a consultation with my physician and I am just trying to wrap my brain around the news she shared. Thankfully, it's nothing terribly serious, but it's mind-boggling just the same. I had a bone scan several weeks ago. I admit I put it off for over a year, but I finally broke down after considerable nagging from my physician. I always assumed that I had very healthy, normal bones. I eat properly, take Calcium with vitamin D and do weight-bearing exercises on a regular basis. Furthermore, there is little osteoperosis in my family. My own mother has some minor bone loss, but she's 84. I'm over 30 years younger than her and my bone scan sold considerable loss in my hips and lumbar spine. Considering that I've been taking all the precautionary measures all along, my doctor suggested trying a medication to prevent further loss and hopefully even turn things around. She went over all the various medications and suggested I try Actonel. The form she gave me is taken once a week. I've always tried to avoid taking any medication by doing any and everything natural possible. Sometimes though, that's not enough. When my cholesteroal was a whopping 284, I was able to lower it myself by 40 points with diet and exercise, but if wasn't enough. I finally caved in and started taking a cholesterol medication and now my cholesterol is under 200. There are always side effects to any medication, but sometimes we have to let science take over when every other practical resources has been exhausted. One thing I have learned is to take the test (any test) when the doctor says so. Putting anything off may just lead to further complications that can alter or even end your life. So whatever you do, take care of yourself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
Next | Previous | Rand | List Sites
Next 5 | Previous 5 | Join | Stats
Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
made possible by CrickRock Webrings.