Site Meter ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5 ss_blog_claim=878ebb07278b6f096bb7c32aaa023db5

Susan's Spa

Your number one stop for beauty and blogging tips, all in one fabulous blog!

Sunday, May 21, 2006

When Pets Become Fashion Accessories

I'm not sure who first began the trend of making pets fashion accessories. It probably began long before Paris and Tori began showing up at events with their pooches all dressed up in matching outfits. Nevertheless, the current generation has taken it to whole new heights which has generated a whole new industry catering to pampered pets. Just a few weeks ago I was browsing in a local mall and noticed a large retail store just for dogs' accessories. This was no discount store by any means. There were designer duds with matching booties and hats, dog strollers, dog carseats and dog diaper bags. There was actually a woman in the store shopping with her little baby, all dressed up, riding in a stroller. This baby by the way had four legs, a tail and a wet nose. At what point do people stop thinking of their dogs as dogs and begin thinking of them as their spoiled children? You can dress them up and take them out in public, carrying them around in carriers and strollers, but, afterall, they still are dogs. By the way, I included a photo of a chihuahua and a pug because I actually own one of each, although the ones in the photo are not mine. My dogs are just dogs though. They don't wear clothes or ride in carseats or strollers. They run outside in their fenced in yard, chasing birds, squirrels and the occasional stray cat. They eat dog food out of a bowl on the floor. Okay, they do sleep in my bed at night, but that's basically where I make an exception, but other than that they are treated like pets and not like people. I may get a lot of negative comments on this, but ultimately I think deep down inside, dogs just want to be dogs.....and that's all!

3 Comments:

At 5/22/2006 7:54 AM, Blogger Ol' Lady said...

Susan Thanks for stopping by my blog. May be the dog/owner thing is Canadian? I don't know but alot of people I see resemble their dogs or visa versa. Have a great day.

 
At 5/22/2006 12:11 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Cute post Susan.I agree with you about peope going a little crazy with dresing up their dog and everything. Although I spoil my little Pug like he is a human. He is my litle baby. I don't have children yet so I have to mother something. hehehe.

 
At 5/26/2006 3:40 PM, Blogger Sheron said...

I cringe when I see people like Anna Nicole Smith and Paris Hilton carrying around these little creatures as if they're handbags or jewelry. I always wonder what happens to them when the public is no longer in sight. Are they simply tossed aside? Pets living creatures. They're to be loved and fed and played with and pooper-scooped, and in return they give you unconditional love. Something tells me some of these wealthy people could care less about them except for photo ops.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
Next | Previous | Rand | List Sites
Next 5 | Previous 5 | Join | Stats
Work at Home Mom Bloggers Network
made possible by CrickRock Webrings.